As the Apple iPad has evolved, it has become something nearly as powerful as a traditional laptop. So in this video, we take a look at how from our Apple iPad, we can connect to the SMB network shares on a Synology NAS.
Notes: In this video we are wirelessly connecting to a Synology Network Attached Storage (NAS) device. If you would like to find out more about how to configure a Synology NAS please view our series on How to configure a Synology NAS
Quick reference notes:
- Make sure your Apple iPad is connected to your home network
- From the Home Screen, locate and select Files
- Within Files you will need to select Locations to display a sidebar
- From within the sidebar select the Options (…) icon
- Choose Connect to Server from the menu
- Enter either the IP address or host name of your File server or NAS
- Select Connect
- Choose either Guest or Registered User
- If you choose Registered User, enter a valid User Name and Password
- By selecting Next your iPad will be connected to your SMB shares.
Notes: Your User Name and Password credentials will be automatically saved to your iPad. This is so you will not be required to enter your user credentials each time you access your SMB shares.
- Apple Support Article – Connect external devices or serves with Files on iPad