In this video, we take a look at a Windows 10 command that will display the host name (also referred to as device name) being used by a computer. This command can be handy when trying to identify a computer from other devices connected to your home network.
Note: The Windows 10 command, hostname can also be used from within Windows PowerShell.
Quick reference notes:
- From the Windows desktop, select the Search bar.
- Within Search type CMD and press Enter on your keyboard
- When the Command Prompt window open type the following:
- When you press Enter on the keyboard you should be presented with the IP address associated with that domain name.
- To perform a reverse lookup on a local DNS Server, at the command prompt type.
host [IP address]
- When you press Enter on the keyboard, you should be presented with the device name of the computer.
- To gracefully close the Command Prompt type:
- When you press Enter on your keyboard the Command Prompt window close.