The reason why you would use a VPN or Virtual Private Network, is to protect your privacy and add an additional layer of security when you use your mobile phone on a public access point.
So in this video we take a look at how you configure the VPN client built into Android, so that it can connect to the VPN Server installed on a Synology NAS.
Notes: that In order to be able to successfully connect to your VPN Server you will need to have configured your NAS for remote access and will have had to install VPN Server to use L2TP/IPSec.
- Open Settings – Network & Internet – VPN in Android
- Locate and select the + icon to create a new VPN Profile
- Use the Name field to give your VPN connection a meaningful title
- In Type select L2TP/IPSec PSK
- Under Server address enter either the IP address or Domain Name to your Synology NAS
- In the IPSec preshared key field we need to enter the same Pre-Share Key that was also typed into the Pre-Share Key of our VPN server
- For the Username field we need to enter the user account name for someone who is allowed to access our VPN server
- The Password field can either be left blank or filled with the password associated with the Username that we previously entered
- Select Save
- Synology Support Article – Setup VPN Server
- Synology Support Article – How to connect to Synology’s VPN Server using a WIndows PC or Mac
- Wikipedia Article – Virtual Private Network