The reason why you would use a VPN or Virtual Private Network, is to protect your privacy and add an additional layer of security when you use your mobile phone on a public access point.
So in this video we take a look at how you configure the VPN client built into iOS, so that it can connect to the VPN Server installed on a Synology NAS.
Quick reference notes:
Notes: that In order to be able to successfully connect to your VPN Server you will need to have configured your NAS for remote access and will have had to install VPN Server to use L2TP/IPSec.
- Open Settings on your iPhone
- Locate and select General
- From within General locate and select VPN
- In the VPN panel, select Add VPN Configuration…
- Within the Type field select L2TP
- Use Description to give you VPN connection a name
- In Server enter either the IP address or Domain Name to your Synology NAS
- Account should contain a user name that is authorised to connect to your VPN server
- Leave Password blank
- In the Secret field enter the Pre-Share Key that you also typed into the Pre-Share Key on your VPN server
- Select Done
- Synology Support Article – Setup VPN Server
- Synology Support Article – How to connect to Synology’s VPN Server using a WIndows PC or Mac
- Wikipedia Article – Virtual Private Network