In this video we show you how to enable the Wakeup On LAN (WOL) function on your Synology NAS. We then look at how you send a Magic Packet to restart a powered down Synology NAS.
While there are multiple methods you can use to send a magic packet. In this example we use Wake On LAN – Magic Packet, created by Depicus. This application free to use on Windows, iOS and Android. However, Depicus does charge a small fee for the macOS version. You can download the Wake On LAN software directly from https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/
Note: Not all models of NAS devices made by Synology support Wake up on LAN. The list of models that do not are listed here.
Quick reference notes:
- Log in to Disk Station Manager using your administrators credentials.
- Now choose Control Panel – Hardware and Power – General
- In the General panel you will find an option called Enable WOL on LAN.
- Tick the check box to Enable WOL on LAN
- Select Apply
Notes: While we use a free place of software called Depicus to wake our NAS. If you prefer you can also use Synology Assistant.
- Depicus – Wake on LAN app for Windows
- Depicus – Wake on LAN app for macOS
- Synology – Synology Assistant
- Wikipedia article – Wake-on-LAN
- Synology article – Wake on LAN