Built into your Synology NAS is an application that aims to check that a NAS has been correctly configured. The tests are based on what Synology considers to be “best practise”. This application is called Security Advisor.
So in this video, we take a look at running a scan on our NAS, to check that it has been correctly configured. We then review the settings within Security Advisor, and take a look at the “For home and use” and “For work and business” baselines.
Notes: Security Advisor does not test the Firewall of your NAS or the Firewall on your Wireless Router. Instead it specifically looks at settings that you have used to configure your NAS. As Security Advisor is really a security auditing tool, it will not test any Firewalls you have configured.
Security Advisor, also will not directly check for viruses and malware. Instead, it simply references the reports generated by which ever antivirus application you have installed onto your NAS. If you would like to learn more about installing an antivirus application please see Synology NAS Quick Tip – Install and configure Antivirus Essential
Quick reference notes:
- Log into DSM with administrators privileges
- Open the Main Menu and select Security Advisor
- If this is the first time you are running Security Advisor you need to select a Security Baseline
- A scan of your NAS will automatically start after you have select a baseline
- You can review the results of your scan from within Overview
Additional resources required:
- Install and configure an Antivirus application onto your NAS – Synology NAS Quick Tip – Install and configure Antivirus Essential