In our previous video we installed VPN Server onto our Synology NAS. Then with VPN Server installed onto our NAS, we configured it to use L2TP/IPSec. So in this video we are going to take a look at how we configure the VPN client built into macOS and then demonstrate how we connect to our NAS using the VPN client. Please note that Synology documentation is often vague and can be a little confusing.
This makes configuring Synology’s VPN Server a difficult task to complete. So please note, that what you are viewing in this video, is based on what we have been able to ascertain from trial and error, rather than a definitive source.
This means, that so far we have only been able to work out how to connect macOS to our VPN Server, to allow us to access network shares and relay internet traffic through our VPN connection.
Quick reference notes:
- From the desktop of macOS open System Preferences – Network
- Unlock the Network panel
Notes: In order to unlock the Network panel you will need to enter the administrators credentials to your Apple Mac computer.
- Select Create a New Service
- In Interface Select VPN
- Within VPN Type select L2TP over IPSec
- In the Service Name field give your VPN connection a meaning full name
- Choose Create
Note: When configuring your VPN client you need to have the following information. The public IP address or domain name to your Synology NAS. The account credentials for someone allowed to connect to your VPN Server. The Pre-share key used with your VPN Server.
- Open Authentication Settings
- Check the tick box Enable L2TP/IPSec VPN server
- Leave User Authentication blank
- Enter the Pre-share key into the Shared Secret field
- Choose OK
Notes: In Advanced… we have an option called Send all traffic over VPN connection. This option will ensure that all network traffic is passed through our VPN connection. However, in order for this work we need to have DNS Server installed on our Synology NAS.
- Enable the option Show VPN status in menu bar
- You can now try and connect to your VPN connection using the VPN icon in the menu bar.
- Synology Support Article – Setup VPN Server
- Synology Support Article – How to connect to Synology’s VPN Server using a WIndows PC or Mac
- Synology Support – Synology NAS Port numbers