In this series of video’s we take a look at how you perform the basic setup and configuration of a Synology, Network Attached Storage (NAS) device. The aim of this series of videos is to try and offer a reference point to assist you in the setup of your own NAS.
For this video we attempt to explain User Permissions are and how they can be applied to Groups on your NAS. We then edit a default Group on our NAS before creating two new Groups that will help us to manage the access permissions for our Shared Folders.
Quick reference notes:
- Log into Disk Station Manager using your Administrators credentials
- From the desktop of DSM select Control Panel – Group
- In the Group panel select Create to open the Group Creation Wizard
- The wizard will help you with the setup of a network share
Note: Once you have created your Groups and their permissions, you will have to assign individual users to your groups. We will be looking at how you assign Group permissions to users in the next video.
- Synology Knowledge Centre – Create a Group