If we ever were to lose our Windows 10 computer, because we have set a lock message, a member of the public will be more easily able to return our computer to us. So in this video, we take a look at how you set a lock message in the login screen for a computer running Microsoft Windows.
Quick reference notes:
- Log into Windows 10.
- Open Search and find Regedit.
- Load Regedit.
- Navigate through the following folder structure –
- Locate or create a String value called legalnoticecaption.
- Modify the legalnoticecaption String, entering “Lost and Found Notice”
- Select OK.
- Locate or create a String value called legalnoticetext.
- Modify the legalnoticetext String, entering somethings similar to the following:
Notes: The example text we used for our lock message is as follows: “This computer belongs to [First Name Last Name]. If found please hand this computer in at the nearest Police Station and then telephone +44 1234 567890, email: email@example.com Thank you.”
- Select OK
- Close Registry Editor.
- Reboot Windows.
Notes: The lock screen message will only appear when you boot Windows 10. It will also be the first thing you see, as it will appear before the login screen or desktop.
Windows 10 Support page – Personalise your lock screen