In this quick tip video, we demonstrate how you set a custom profile image with your user account in macOS. Not only will this tip make identifying specific user accounts easier, it will also allow you to add a neat touch that gives your computer more personality.
Quick reference notes:
- From the macOS Desktop locate and choose System Preferences.
- Within System Preferences select Users and Groups.
- Unlock the Users and Groups panel.
- Select you user account.
- You will see the current profile image in the main panel.
- Type a different name for your device
Notes: When creating a custom profile image, you need to ensure that the image you use is 600 by 600 pixels. We also recommend that you save your image as a .PNG file, as this will allow you to set a transparent background.
- Simply drag and drop your new profile image over the existing image in your user account.
- If needed you can resize the image.
- Log out of your account to see how your image looks.
- Apple Support document – Setup users, guests and groups on Mac
- Apple Support document – Change a users picture on Mac