If you simply remove Extended Storage from your PS5 while it’s switched on, you can damage or corrupt the data stored on the drive. So in this video we take a look at how you safely disconnect Extended Storage from a PlayStation 5.
Note: It is safe to remove Extended Storage from a PlayStation 5, if the console has been fully powered down. However, you should never remove your Extended Storage from your PS5 when it is in standby mode.
Quick reference notes:
- From the PlayStation 5 Home Screen select Settings – Storage.
- In Storage you will find a sidebar containing two options Console Storage and USB Extended Storage.
- Select USB Extended Storage.
- Now choose the option Safely Remove from PS5.
- Remove the USB hard drive from your games console.
Note: As long as you follow the above advice you will not do any damage to your games console, its games or your account data. However, you should never just remove the mains power from your console while your PS5 is switched on.
- Sony support – USB extended storage on PlayStation 5 consoles