Within Windows 10 is a function designed to make your computer boot faster. However, because of the way this function works you might find your laptop suffers for battery drain when its been shut down. So in this video we are going to demonstrate how to turn off something called fast startup, which should stop battery drain.
Note: On a modern laptop with an SSD, we found that having fast startup enabled had little to no benefits when compared to the battery drain it caused. We have also found that by enabling Battery Saver in Windows, a Windows laptop can run for longer on a single charge.
Quick reference notes:
- From the Windows Desktop select – Start – Settings
- Within Settings locate and choose System – Power & Sleep
- Now under Related Settings select Additional Power Settings
- When the Power Options windows opens, from the sidebar locate and select Choose what the power button does
- Unlock the Shutdown settings by selecting Change settings that are currently unavailable
- Remove the tick from Turn on fast startup
- Save changes.
- How to Geek – The Pros and Cons of Windows 10 Fast Startup mode