While very iconic, the startup chime on an Apple Macintosh computer can be very distracting. So if you need to work in quiet areas such as lecture theatres, library’s or open plan offices. You might want to disable the chime when you start your computer.
Note: An alternative method for controlling the chime on your computer, is through the volume. So if you disable the volume on your computer, your computer will not chime when you reboot or start it.
Quick reference notes:
- From the macOS desktop locate and select System Settings
- In System Settings choose Sound
- Locate the option Play sound on startup and toggle the option off
- Close the System Settings panel
- Apple Support – Turn the Mac startup sound on or off