In this video, we demonstrate at how you can create a bootable recovery flash drive for your Google Chromebook or Chrome OS device.
Notes: The recovery disk will allow you to restore your Chrome OS device should the operating system become corrupt. The type of problem you can fix include:
- ‘An unexpected error has occurred’
- ‘Please remove all connected device and start recovery’
- ‘The device that you inserted doesn’t;t contain ChromeOS’
- ‘The security module on this device isn’t working’
You can also use the recovery media to return a Chromebook back to its factory default state. This could be useful if you want to perform a clean install on your Chromebook before you sell, give away or decommission it.
Quick reference notes:
- From within a Google Chrome browser install the Chromebook Recovery Utility
- Now open the Chromebook Recovery Utility and select Get Started
- We now need to identify the Chromebook we are creating a recovery disk for. If in doubt choose the option “Select a model from a list“.
- After selecting continue you will be prompted to Insert a USB flash drive or SD card
Note: We recommend that you use a 8GB flash drive or SD card.
- After selecting Create now our recovery disk is created.
- Chrome Web Store – The Chromebook Recovery Utility
- Amazon – DataTraveler 100 G3 USB flash drive
- Google support article – Recover your Chromebook
- Google website – ChromeOS features
- mydoodads – How to de-register and factory reset a Chromebook or ChromeOS device