In this short video we show you one method for creating a USB Recovery disk for your Chromebook.
You would use the recovery disk if the operating system on your Chromebook becomes corrupted, if you ever decide to sell or give away your Chromebook, or if you have been using the Beta or Dev channels and wish to quickly return to the stable channel.
Please note that when you use the recovery disk it will return your Chromebook back to factory defaults which in turn wipes all data from the system.
You can also download the Recovery disk using your Mac or PC at http://support.google.com/chromeos/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=1080595
The Google notes on reinstalling the Chrome operating system are as follows:
1. Start your Chrome device.
2. When the “Chrome OS is missing or damaged” screen appears, insert the USB flash drive or SD card that you created into the USB port or SD card slot on your Chrome device.
3. Wait for the Chrome device to boot up from the flash drive.
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
5. On successful installation of the Chrome operating system, you will be prompted to remove the USB flash drive or SD card.
6. Remove the USB flash drive or SD card when prompted, and your Chrome device will automatically restart.
You should now be able to start your Chrome device as normal. Because the data stored on your Chrome device has been cleared, you’ll need to go through the initial setup again. Make sure you sign in with your primary Google Account, because this account will be set as the owner account.”