As Google Nest Wifi is fully compatible with 1st Generation Google Wifi hardware. If you are already using Google Wifi in your home. You can add Google Nest Wifi points, to both extend the range of your wireless network and add Google Assistant.
So in this video, we take a look at how you add a Google Nest Wifi point to your existing Google Wifi network, along with how you migrate your Google Wifi network into the Google Home app.
Notes: As Google Nest Wifi points are also smart speakers. In order to configure a Google Wifi Point you will need to use the Google Home app. This means that your existing Google Wifi hardware can no longer be in the the Google Wifi app. So before you can add a Google Nest Wifi Point to your existing Google Wifi network you will need to migrate the Google Wifi network to the Google Home app.
Quick reference notes:
- Select the New icon
- Under the Add to Home heading choose Set up new devices
- Below New Devices choose Set up new devices
- Choose Home
Notes: The Google Home app will now detect your Nest WiFI point.
- When prompted enter the setup code to the Nest WIFi point. The setup code is printed on the bottom of the WiFi point
- The Google Home app is connected to the Nest WiFi point
- You should now be presented with the “Looks like you already have Google Wifi” panel.
- Select Yes, Add to existing
- When prompted to import your network select Next
Notes: Your existing Google Wifi network is now imported into the Google Home app.
- Choose if you wish to Add your Google Wifi settings to the Home app
- Select I agree
- You will now be prompted to Turn on WiFi router and point usage stats
- Next you will be prompted to Turn on Nest WIFi cloud services
Notes: Once the Google Home app connect to your new Google Nest Wifi point, you should hear it chime.
- When asked if you hear the chime select Yes
- You are now prompted to help improve Google Wifi products.
- Now you are asked to choose a location for your Nest Wifi point.
- You are now prompted to setup Google Assistant
- You next need to decide if you want to Teach your Assistant to recognise your voice
- Now you need to decide if you want to Get personal results
- Next you need to decide if you want to enter your address
- Finally we are asked if we wish to add another WiFi device
- The Mesh connection is now tested
- We are invited to Stay in the know about Google Hardware, features and services
- When we are presented with a Wifi report we are ready to position our Nest WiFi point.
Notes: While your Google Wifi hardware is now imported into the Google Home app. You might find that you need to rename and re-organise groupings to devices.
- Link on Google Play – Google Home App
- Link on Apple App Store – Google Home App
- Amazon Store – Buy Google Nest WiFi (2 pack)