In certain instances resetting System Management Control (SMC) can resolve specific issues relating to your Apple Macintosh desktop or Apple Macintosh laptop.
If you are experiencing issues with power or specific hardware components within your computer, resetting SMC can be a useful repair tool. If your Apple Macintosh computer experiences any of the following issues resetting SMC may help.
- Issues with cooling fans and fan management
- Power management and battery problems
- Light problems and improper lighting management
- Video and external displays not working
- General performance and functionality problems
The method for resetting the SMC on a desktop is different from the process for used on a notebook. Also the process for resetting SMC on a notebook, with a removable battery, is different from that with a non-removable battery.
- Shutdown your MacBook or MacBook Pro and remove the battery.
- Disconnect the power adapter.
- Hold down the Power Key for 10 seconds.
- Release the power key and reconnect your battery and power adapter.
- The SMC has been reset.
- Turn your Mac on and use as normal.